Monday, June 21, 2010

TBS DT: Summer Fun in Paris

Hello friends! I hope you've had a great weekend! Husband and I went to an Antique Boat Show where we saw loads of beautiful wooden boats. While we are die-hard sailors, we fell in love with vintage Chris Craft runabouts from the '30s and '40s. How much fun would those be to cruise around in?

Speaking of fun, the Beary Scrap design team is celebrating all kinds of it this week with our Summer Fun theme!

For Husband and I, this time of year means day trips and long weekends. We go to summer festivals and visit out-of-state family. For others, summer means grander vacations taken while the kidlets are out of school. I don't know if any of you go to exotic locales like Paris, but it looks like my little friend Emilia is on her way!


I have so much to tell you about this card! If you haven't seen the full line of Basic Grey Capella, you are missing out big time. It is truly stunning paper. Here, I've used the 6x6 pad version of Dolce for a smaller pattern. This whole line is full of scrumminess that you'll see a lot of it from me!

See the Paris postage cancellation do-dad? And the little corner dohickey in the bottom right? They are from an Australian company called Dusty Attic. They are paintable die cuts that come in an incredible assortment of beautiful shapes. 


So, this is my first attempt at coloring with Distress inks. It was an interesting experiment, to say the least. Let's just say there's a lot more practice in my future! I tried to do a little correction on her chin and now she looks like she has a 5 o'clock shadow... *grin* When I get an extra hour or so I'll replace her with a clean-shaven version. :)

This card is also my first one made to fit a handful of challenges rather than finding challenges to fit a finished card. I didn't do so well with the monochromatic challenge (harder than I thought!) but did manage to use up a bit of old stash *and* CASE a card made by someone I really admire. I used this beautiful card made by Linda Coughlin, The Funkie Junkie. We were tasked to change at least 2 things - my changes are a different color scheme and relocating the bottom ribbon to the top. Thanks Linda for always being an inspiration to me!

Oh! and speaking of "firsts" this is the first card I've made without my usual white base. This one is Bazzill Mud Pie, one of my go-to colors. I like it... but I miss my white borders, too. The jury is still out. :)

Challenges
Card Recipe
That's it for me. I'm off to have some Summer Fun of my own. :)

Don't forget - you still have time to enter your project in the color challenge at The Beary Scrap! It's all about navy, turquoise and lime - a yummy color combination! Go here for all the fabby details!

Thanks so much for stopping in today. I appreciate your company and conversation!

Cheers,
Susan

15 comments:

Sylvia Blum said...

WOWZERS!!! Susan, this is gorgeous!!! Love all the details you put on this card - fantastic!!! And your coloring with Distress inks is wonderful, too!
{hugs} Sylvia

Lisa said...

Your card is great! I love the coloring with distress inks and my favorite element is the postcard background! Thanks for sharing and playing along in the Tea Room!

Debbie said...

Wow ... a vintage boat show! Sounds like so much fun! I know the Chris Craft's are the cadillac of runabout boats! We have a 24' Crownline and looooove so much; it's not antique - only 2 years old, but it's still pretty fun! Your card is super cute - so much inspiration and fun!! Thanks for sharing with us this week in the Tea Room for our Cottage Comfort challenge :)

Nicole said...

Great card! Perfect colors for this week's cottage comfort challenge! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR! :)

Deb Hickman said...

Great card.Love the postage cancellation,such a fun card.

Audrey Pettit said...

Very cute card here! I like your non-white card base. ;) Super fun image and lovely details, too. Thanks for playing along with us in the Tea Room.

Stef H said...

this is one totally awesome card! i love all your touches! absolutely stunning!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Hi Susan, greetings from Key West where I am vacationing this week and blogging from my phone. Oh how I wish I had a laptop so I could really see your wonderful creation. Love the brown tones and all the wonderful embellies. Will have to check out the die cuts. Thanks for your lovely compliments on my work and for choosing one of my cards to CASE. I'm so glad you had fun with the OCC challenge this week. Thanks for playing with us!

Melissa said...

I LOVE this! I was in Paris in April and that postmark doodad in the corner is AWESOME! I love Kraftin' Kimmmie's too... Thanks for joining us at TSTR!

Mandy said...

Oh wow hun, this is one gorgeous card, love the postmark.
Thanks for joining us at Paper Play
hugs Mandy xx

Julie Leblanc said...

Great case.... Isn't Linda awesome? thanks for joining us at OCC!

Unknown said...

Great card Susan!
Love all of your ribbons and other trims! Lots of eye candy!
Thanks so much for joining us this week in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge!
Hugs,
True :D

Cheryl Walker said...

Beautiful card, and I love how you used your ribbon on this!!! Thank you for joining us this week at the Really Reasonable Ribbon border Challenge!!

Hugs,
Cheryl

Kerri said...

Oh I love this!!! What fabulous details, and I just love Kraftin' Kimmie images:) Thank you so much for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Juanita said...

Fabulous card, love your take on our challenge. I'm sure you'd take the prize for most unique "wings" if we were offering one, lol. Thanks for joining us at Fussy and Fancy.